Entry #5: Dear Dr. Jones

Dear Dr. Jones, 

Overall, class has been going very well this semester. Honestly, I've enjoyed every single one of my classes that I'm taking right now. I had a feeling from the beginning that Nazareth was where I belong. I can't describe it, just an innate feeling of home. 

I was scared about transitioning from attending and graduating a HBCU back to attending a PWI. It was a nervous feeling especially because I remember how lonely I always felt throughout my prior school experiences at predominantly white institutions. Although, the preparation and empowerment I received from Clark Atlanta University enlightened me to my own genius and how I could be an equal force in any setting regardless of my skin color and background. Stepping into Nazareth I didn't know what to expect aside from possibly encountering some outdated teaching theories that no longer fit my style of thinking. However, my experience has been quite the opposite. I have been exposed to more Black excellence within literature than I ever had at a historically black university which is striking to me. I've really enjoyed this blog experience as well. It's been a perfect way to assess my learning without all of the pressure. Nazareth, so far, has been a truly enlightening experience and I am grateful for the education being provided to me by my professors and this institution. 

I've become more aware of my habit to over highlight unnecessary information that is often not needed or beneficial to whatever reason I am reading for. The SQ4R really helped me to be able to adjust my reading and literacy skills and focus on whats important and what questions I am trying to answer. I've also become more aware of the literature texts I am reading and who the authors are. I've been more focused on reading material celebrating culture and diversity rather than reading tales that only tell the single story of black struggle. 

There were two big points that I took away from the Liz Kleinrock presentation. The first was about administration and everything that they are juggling. It can be easy to get frustrated with administrations lack of support but I agree that it's important to understand how much they are juggling before demonizing them. Sometimes we may put all of the "power" into our direct administrations hands without thinking about the administration that they themselves have to report to. This could make it seem as though they are resistant and reluctant to certain topics being introduced when, in reality, they are receiving push-back or know that their higher ups will be against it. 

Another point that I took away from the Liz Kleinrock presentation was "doing what you have to do now so that you can do what you want to do later". Change doesn't have to and cannot be achieved in one day. It's so important to build that trust and rapport with the schools students, employees, and administration before introducing taboo topics. I am in this line of work because I believe in it and because I believe that true change starts with the children. However, I can do more in instilling that change by gaining the trust needed to teach what I want. That may take time but it doesn't make it or I any less impactful to the cause.

I'm not having any struggles with this class in particular. I'm really enjoying every single one of my classes and the texts that we are reading. However, I am struggling with the work load. I am a full-time seventh grade teacher, on the fast-track full time schedule for graduation at Naz, a board member of the Friends of Womens Rights Committee in Seneca Falls, and a full time family member dealing with some issues that have sprung up this semester. I completely knew what I was getting myself into before taking this on. I knew it would be a lot and I chose to anyways because I know that I can handle it and it's only for this semester but I wasn't expecting the extra stuff being piled on to my plate. On top of the fact that my doctors I deal with for my Leukopenia and Pernicious Anemia seem to be moving backwards rather than forward and it's really affecting my health and energy to do what I have to. 

I will persevere. I always do. 

Thalia



Comments

  1. Thalia, it is such a joy to have you in class and your entries clearly indicate the ways you fully engaging in your own personal "cultivation of your genius" as well as thinking through ways you wish to cultivate your students' geniuses as well. Please let me know if there is more you need from me as you continue on this semester.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts