Entry #4: 3-2-1 To Summarize My New Knowledge

Three Ideas Worth Pondering

I quickly noticed alignment between Tompkins and Muhammad regarding collaboration of student knowledge, engagement through authentic activities through culturally responsive classrooms, and Criticality. They seem to very much agree on these three topics specifically which further affirms how important these student-centered learning theories are to understanding how students learn and creating instruction tailored to that. 

I found the topic of No Child Left Behind interesting because it's frequently mentioned in school although none of the teachers I've asked ever know what it means. I think that it is important to hold schools responsible for educating all students to meet mandated standards but these standards can also hold students back if they are not being met where they currently are. What I mean is that if a student is a 4th grade level but they are being taught a 6th grade standard, chances are they are not going to succeed and fall further behind.

I also noticed that No Child Left Behind kind of coincides with the Common Core standards in that those are the standards being used by most states for students. Again, if a child is not already performing at the necessary standard essential to progressing, then they are further left behind instead of being helped. I always had a negative outlook on Common Core but I can see now how it's helpful for teachers and administration by "identifying the knowledge students are expected to learn at each grade level" (Thompkins). However, I do think that the HRL framework would be far better suited for a student-centered learning curriculum as Common Core seems to be more teacher-centered. 

Two Comments That Really Inspired Me

Muhammad stated that "when we frame the stories of people of color as narratives steeped in pain or even smallness, this becomes the dominant or sole representation" (p. 21) This was inspiring to me because it makes me want to ensure that I am teaching my students stories of Black excellence in order to inspire them to be great!

Muhammad states that "if we just listen to the voices of youth, we will know exactly what to do in solving the problems in education. Their statements spoke to the need to have teaching, learning, and schooling be responsive to their histories, identities, literacies, and times in which they live" (p. 44) This is so important to me because the youth are very vocal in what they need to learn but sometimes as adults and especially in teacher-centered learning curriculum, we don't listen to them and this creates dysfunction between the teacher, the learning environment, and the student.

One Commitment I Want To Make For My Future Students

One commitment that I want to make for my future students is to get to know each of their histories, identities, and learning styles. I want to make it a point that I get to know who they are and where they come from at the beginning of the school years and to also give them space and comfort to communicate with me what I need to do to help them learn better and more effectively. 



Comments

  1. Tahlia, I was also inspired by the quotes you pulled from Muhammad. It is my hope that during our Deeper Dives the class has the opportunity to also think through how they will create space in the lessons on aspects of literacy (e.g., phonics) to also attend to students' histories, identities, and intellectual passions and pursuits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts